Gustavo Da Roza
GUSTAVO DA ROZA
Gustavo da Roza received his Portuguese education in Macau, and graduated with the Bachelor of Architecture degree with First Class Honours at the University of Hong Kong in June 1955. Following graduation he taught at the University of Hong Kong and later joined the teaching staff at the University of California in Berkeley in 1958.
In 1960 at the invitation of Dean John Russell, Gustavo da Roza moved to Canada to teach at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg. By 1971 he was promoted to Full Professor, and served as the Head of the School of Architecture from 1983. In addition to his academic work he maintained an active architectural practice since 1962.
Success at architecture and design competitions resulted on his design and construction of well known projects including: Man and his Home Pavilion at Expo 67 Worlds Fair in Montreal, the Winnipeg Art Gallery completed and inaugurated in 1971, Gull Harbour Resort in Hecla Island, MB, the Church of the Immaculate Conception and the Portuguese Cultural Center in Winnipeg, and numerous single family residences in Canada, leading to public exhibitions and publication of his work across Canada, the United States, Europe and the Far East.
In 1973 he was appointed an Academician of the Royal Canadian Academy of Art, and a fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada for distinction in architecture, and served from 1973 to 1979 as a Member of the Canadian Housing Design Council and its national chairman from 1975 to 1978. He also served as the Professional Advisor and Juror for numerous architectural and design competitions, and participated in conferences on Architecture, Urban Design, Housing and Architectural Education.
Prof. da Roza has been active in community affairs with community groups across Canada. In 1970 he was appointed by the Government of Portugal to serve the fast growing Portuguese community from 3,000 to 40,000 as the Consul of Portugal in Winnipeg and Member of the Consular Corps of Winnipeg, and in addition elected Vice Dean of Corps from 1982 to 1988.
In 1985 Prof. da Roza was decorated by the President of Portugal as a Comendador of the Order of Prince Henry for excellence in architecture internationally.
In 1988 Prof. da Roza was appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada by the Governor General of Canada for distinction in the architectural profession and contributions to Canada and humanity at large.
Prof. de Roza retired in 1990 as Director of the School of Architecture at the University of Manitoba and has been practicing architecture and provide consultation in architecture and urban design across North America and the Far East in Vancouver.
In 2009 the Catholic University of Portugal in Lisbon and the University of St. Joseph in Macau conferred the Doctor of Arts Honoris Causa degree on Comendador Gustavo da Roza, a renown architect whose “work and vision influenced Canadian architecture in the twentieth century”.